Thursday, June 26, 2008

Creating a Home Journal: Step 6 - Menu Planing- Part 1

OK! Menu planning is something I have fun with. I really like to cook but when life is busy I really need to plan. I really like Menus 4 Moms for this. They do all the work! the food is good and inexpensive. Using their system monthly food budget is about 400 for my family of 6.

In this section of my Home Journal I keep my Master Grocery List. With my well stocked pantry I can make all the foods my family eats. With my Master Grocery List I can keep inventory and make my weekly grocery list with it. When I run out of something I highlight it with a red dry erase marker right away, then on Monday when I make my grocery list It is easy to determine What I need to put on it. Here is my Master Grocery List.




Pantry


Spices & Seasonings


Adobo
Basil
Bay leaf
Cayenne pepper
Celery seed
Chili Powder
Chili spice blend
Chives
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Cumin
Curry Powder
Dehydrated onion
Dill
Dry mustard
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
Ground ginger
Italian seasoning
Lemon pepper
Liquid smoke
Marjoram
Nutmeg
Onion powder
Onion Soup Mix
Oregano
Paprika
Parsley
Pepper
Poppy seed
Rosemary
Salt
Taco Seasoning Mix
Tarragon
Thyme
Balsamic vinegar
Red Wine Vinegar
Rice vinegar
Vinegar
Beef Bouillon Granules
Chicken Bouillon Granules
Dry red wine
White cooking wine
Cooking sherry
Hot sauce
Ketchup
Worcestershire Sauce
Ranch Dressing Mix
Sesame Oil
Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil

Baking Needs


Almond Extract
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Biscuit mix
Bread flour
Confectioner's Sugar
Corn Meal
Corn Starch
Corn Syrup
Evaporated Milk
Flour
Honey
Jell-O packages
Rolled oats
Stuffing Mix
Sugar
Vanilla Extract 
Yeast
Baking nuts
 

Beans


Pinto beans
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
 
Lentils
Red Beans
White Navy Beans

Fruit


Individual Fruit Cups
Pineapple, Crushed
Raisins
Cran-rasins
 

Miscellaneous


Croutons
Graham Crackers
Peanut Butter
Sunflower Seeds
Taco Shells
Tea bags
Coffee

Pasta and Rice


Egg Noodles
Elbow Macaroni
Fettuccini
Linguini
Rice
Rice Noodles
Shells (jumbo, medium)
Vermicelli
 

Produce


Apples
Bananas
Grapes
Oranges

Canned Goods


Cut Corn
Creamed Corn
Green Beans
Mushroom Pieces
Peas
Roasted Red Peppers
Tomatoes (variety)
Water chestnuts, sliced
Coconut Milk (for Thai dishes)
Cream Soups
Enchilada Sauce, red and green
Green Chiles, diced
Salsa
Spaghetti Sauce
 

Paper & Plastic


Heavy Duty Foil
Paper Plates
Parchment Paper
Plastic Baggies
Plastic Wrap
Wax Paper
Toilet Paper

Refrigerator Items


Cheese


American cheese slices
Cottage Cheese
Feta Cheese
Shredded Cheese
String Cheese
 

Condiments


Barbecue sauce
Dill pickle spears
Fruit Preserves (100% fruit)
Hot sauce
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Mayonnaise
Salad Dressing
Salad peppers or relish
Soy sauce/tamari
Teriyaki sauce
Yellow mustard

Dairy


Butter
Buttermilk
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Milk
Coffee cream
Plain Yogurt
Sour cream

Meat


Bacon or bacon bits
Deli Meat
Pepperoni

Produce


Carrots
celery
Garlic cloves
Green Bell Peppers
Lettuce leaves
Mushrooms
Onions (a bag)
Salad Mix
 

Freezer Items


Frozen Fruit
Bagged berries, miscellaneous

Frozen Vegetables


Asparagus
Breaded Okra
Broccoli Cuts
Cauliflower
Hash Browns
Mixed Vegetables
Peas
Peas and Carrots
Corn
Stir Fry Vegetables
Sugar Snap Peas
 

Meat


Beef (ground, roast, stew, and flank)
Chicken
Hot Dogs
Hot Italian Sausage
Pepperoni
Pork Chops

Prepared Ingredients


Black beans, cooked
Buttermilk biscuit dough
Chili
Chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
Ground beef, browned
Ham, cooked and diced
Meatballs, raw
Peppers & onions, chopped and sautéed
Onions, chopped and sautéed

Home work



  • Think about everything your family eats and make a list
  • Make a Master Grocery List of all the items you need to buy from the grocery store. Don't forget to include any cleaning supplies
  • No comments: