Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Night-Date Night!


Many happily long married couples I have spoken to all seem to have a version of regular date nights in common. Is it the reason they stayed so happy? I cannot say for sure but I have heard equally as often, from those not so fortunate that one of the main reasons their marriages failed was because they grew apart. Often the early years of marriage are the busiest, with busy careers and child rearing taking most of the precious time. Time together often is neglect if couples don't make it a priority. My husband and I recognize this and this why we have scheduled Date Night each week. Tonight we are going to see a movie. We do a variety of things for Date Night. We will go for dinner with friends or invite friends in for cards or board games, we will rent a movie and cuddle while watching it after the children are in bed... it doesn't matter as long as we are doing something together. I love Date Night! It gives me something to look forward to each week. It is grown-up time, which is very much appreciated. I hope it is a tradition we still have 20 years from now when we are empty nesters.

No comments: