Monday, September 1, 2008

Comfort Food

We all have our favourites! Mac and cheese, tomato soup with homemade bread, hamburger casserole, Roast Chicken/beef/pork Dinner, meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, beef stew chocolate pudding (from scratch) are some of mine. With taters and gravy, it is the velvety feel of the food on my tongue and tomato soup and bread has a fragrance that takes me back to lunchtime in my mothers kitchen, Bread and butter pickles do this too.

As the weather is turning cooler I am finding myself craving these things. I am going to be making some of them and posting about them from time to time. Todays recipe is:

Hamburger casserole.

1/2 box of elbow macaroni
salted boiling water
1 pound lean hamburger
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crush
1 green pepper, diced
12 sliced mushrooms, sliced
1 19 oz tin of tomatoes or equivalent fresh romas.
1 4 oz can of tomato paste.
italian spices salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup of shredded cheddar (optional)

  • put pasta on to boil.

  • fry hamburger, onion garlic, mushrooms and pepper until beef is well cooked and onion is translucent

  • add tomatoes, paste and spices. cook until pasta is cooked, drain pasta and add sauce. stir to coat.

  • toss with cheese if using.

    I serve this in bowls with a salad and garlic bread.
  • 2 comments:

    Gill - That British Woman said...

    that looks good, like a keeper....

    Gill

    Kt said...

    I was doing comfort food today too--it's still warm outside, but all the rain made me think it might actually be fall someday.