Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Comfort Food Made Simply - Cabbage Roll Casserole

Today we got slammed with a bunch of snow. The very wet and heavy kind. It was so cold you could hear the house whistle reminding me that I still have to put plastic on the windows (But this is another blog for another time). I decided we needed something hearty delicious warming -comforting for our supper. I had a beautiful cabbage in the crisper so I decided to make cabbage rolls. Then I gave my head a shake. I had all three kids home and to be honest with you we had things to do that were not going to afford me the time to do all I had to to make those delicious traditional culinary bundles, so I turned it into a casserole! It seriously took 30 minute from the gather of ingredient to the first comforting bite.

The Recipe


1 tbs Olive oil
1 lb of ground pork or beef (I used beef)
1 large onion
1 19 oz can of dice tomatoes, drained
1 2 cups of tomato sauce
1 tbs oregano
2 tbs of brown sugar
2 tbs of white vinegar
1/2 half head of cabbage, shredded
salt and pepper to taste.


lightly oil pan with olive oil, add diced onion and ground meat fry until onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes, sauce, sugar, vinegar, oregano and cabbage. Season and cover.
Simmer while setting the table and washing little hands

1 comment:

Gill - That British Woman said...

we're having cheats cabbage casserole tonight!! Great minds think alike!!

Gill