Monday, February 9, 2009

My Poor Little Sickies

My children are all at various stages of a nasty flu. It is heart breaking to see my babies so miserable. The menu on days like this is. chicken soup, tea and popsicles.

I make my soup from scratch. I save all the bones from the roast chickens and when I have at least 3 carcasses I put them in the crock-pot with 3 washed onions that have their tops and bottoms cut off but the skins left on. Next I add a head of garlic, a bunch of carrots and 6 ribs of celery treated the same way as the onions. I put my bouquet de garni (usually tarragon, savory, sage and parsley) in a tea diffuser and place it on top of the mountain of food goodness. Then I cover the lot with cold water and a splash of vinegar, turn the crock on low and let it go about 24 hours. When it is done I strain it. If the patient is experiencing tummy issue then I will serve as is in mug but if sustenance is require I will add chopped chicken and fresh peeled and chopped veggies and rice or noodles. I will often make a loaf of bread to go with it. I swear you can see the colour return to their little faces!

No comments: